Trifle is one of those options that seem like such a classic but is usually considered quite a heavy choice. But this berry trifle is a delightful twist to the classic layered dessert, that is fresh and light and doesn’t pack as many calories!
Who doesn’t love a nice, light berry trifle dessert? After all with the likes of sponge, granola, custard, cream, and other delectable delights that you can find within them, a trifle can certainly be filling. This is why I wanted to recreate the classic in a lighter and healthier way.
This berry trifle recipe is a layered dessert, just as the classic. As mentioned you usually find a layer of sponge, custard, jam, or another fruit preservative, and then it is topped with lashings of whipped cream. Very tasty, but often not the ideal choice if you are watching the waistline.
Looking for more berry desserts?
- Blackberry cobbler with lemon cake mix
- Strawberry dump cake with cream cheese
- Strawberry cookies with cream cheese frosting
- Raspberry tiramisu cake
- Blueberry streusel muffins
- Blueberry lemon cake with mascarpone frosting
However, layered desserts are hugely popular. They give you the chance to experience a combination of flavors and textures. With this mixed berry trifles, I have tried to recreate a lighter version that is healthier. A berry trifle is the perfect choice for the summer months and make a great way to end a dinner party or an outdoor BBQ that you have had on a warm summer afternoon. But being so easy to make and since most berries are now available year round, you could create this simple fruit trifle any other season.
So with that in mind, here is what you need to recreate them and produce your very own triple berry trifle.
What are the ingredients for berry trifle?
- strawberry yogurt
- sliced fresh strawberries
- fresh blackberries
- sliced bananas
- fresh blueberries
- sliced almonds
How to make berry trifle?
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Creates two trifles
- Slice the strawberries and bananas. You don’t want them to be too thinly sliced. Just make sure they are bite-sized pieces perfect for your trifle.
- Get yourself a small trifle bowl that you are happy to serve up your dessert in. Add a spoonful of yogurt.
- Add half the strawberries and blackberries on top of the yogurt.
- Next up, add 2-3 spoonfuls of yogurt on top of the strawberries and blackberries layer.
- You will now want to add a bit of texture. This is when you will add half of the granola on top of the yogurt.
- Add 2-3 spoonfuls of yogurt on top of the granola.
- Finally, add half of the blueberries and sliced bananas on top of the yogurt.
- Sprinkle the yogurt with half of the sliced almonds.
Maybe you have some questions regarding the method or process. Hopefully, I will answer some of them below but please feel free to comment or get in touch if needed.
Recipe Notes and tips
You may like the idea of this berry trifle but perhaps you are wanting some tips on how to make things easier or some tried and tested advice to make sure that your trifles taste amazing. So I wanted to share with you some valuable recipe notes and tips to help you do that.
- Have all your ingredients to hand before you start the process of layering up your trifle dessert. The last thing you want is to have to do preparation as the longer you leave the dessert, the less the layers like the granola maintain their crunch and bite.
- Make sure that the fruit you are using is ripe and ready to eat. You won’t want any hard or bitter-tasting fruit between your layers.
- This is an easy dessert that you could choose even for a dinner party. Simple have the ingredients ready and then layer up before serving.
- A great tip is to chill the dishes before you start to assemble the trifle. A colder dish or glass will help the ingredients to remain at a cooler temperature. Making the trifle far more pleasant to eat. Just pop them into a freezer or in the fridge for 30 minutes before assembling.
Variations you could try
While you may like the sound of the recipe, it is understandable that not everyone will like all of the choices of ingredients. The beauty of this berry trifle is that you can vary it to suit your tastes. So I wanted to share with you a couple of various ideas and other suggestions that you may want to try.
- Change the fruit – You may not like bananas, blackberries, strawberries or blueberries so pick out the sort of fruit you enjoy. You could just do a berry version and leave out the banana, adding raspberries instead perhaps. Or maybe you like the idea of using canned fruit. Mandarins, peaches, and pineapple could all work well. Just make sure you drain them of their juices and then cut them up and prepare them into bite-sized pieces of slices.
- Change the yogurt – I chose to use strawberry yogurt in the recipe as I think it works really well with the fruit I added to the trifle. However, you can choose whichever flavor you like. You might want to try a lemon yogurt adding a citrus element to the dish. Or maybe a lovely vanilla or Greek yogurt. You can work with whatever flavors you enjoy.
- Add different garnishes – If you want to get a little fancy, why not squirt a little sauce such as chocolate or strawberry coulis around the edges. This will look very effective if you are serving in a glass dish. Furthermore, when you sprinkle the almonds, you could add a dash of sauce or coulis on top. If you are not a fan of almonds, sprinkle some cocoa powder across the top or garnish with a few extra berries. You can get creative with this dish and make it your own.
Can you make this ahead of time?
Due to the granola being added as part of the layered dessert it isn’t recommended to make this ahead of time. Unless you don’t mind a soft granola in your trifle. Over time, the granola will absorb the moisture from the yogurt and you will lose that texture and crunch that makes the dessert so tasty.
Let’s hope this has inspired you to create delicious fruit and yogurt trifles at home. I hope you have enjoyed this recipe. You can check out more amazing recipes on my blog. And don’t forget to subscribe to my newsletter to get notifications when new recipes are up.
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Berry trifle recipe
- 1 ½ cups strawberry yogurt
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup sliced bananas
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup granola
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- Slice the strawberries and bananas. Add a spoonful of yogurt to a mini trifle bowl. Add half the strawberries and blackberries on top of the yogurt.
- Add 2-3 spoonfuls of yogurt on top of the strawberries and blackberries layer.
- Add half of the granola on top of the yogurt.
- Add 2-3 spoonfuls of yogurt on top of the granola.
- Add half of the blueberries and sliced bananas on top of the yogurt. Sprinkle with half of the sliced almonds. Continue making the second trifle in the same manner. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply