With this easy recipe for no churn cookies and cream ice cream, you can easily and quickly whip up your own frozen sweet treat without the need for a big, bulky machine!
Cookies and cream ice cream
Making your own homemade cookies and cream ice cream is a great way to create a classic dessert at home. But if you think you need an ice cream maker to prepare this frozen dessert, you’d be wrong!
What do you need to make cookies n cream ice cream
Making your own homemade ice cream doesn’t have to be a long, drawn-out process. In fact, you can make ice cream at home with just four ingredients:
- Heavy cream
- Sweetened condensed milk
Once you have the basic vanilla ice cream recipe, you can customize it to create tons of delicious frozen desserts! But to make your own cookies and cream ice cream, simply mix in some crushed Oreos or your favorite chocolate sandwich cookies!
More ice cream recipes you’ll love:
- No churn peach ice cream
- Pumpkin ice cream
- Cookie dough ice cream
- Sweet & salty ice cream sandwich
- Butter pecan ice cream
Like Oreo desserts? You’ll love these recipes!
Is this homemade cookies and cream ice cream the same as Oreo cookies ice cream?
The term “cookies and cream” is often used to describe the flavor of Oreo cookies, so cookies and cream ice cream is the same as Oreo ice cream. But just because this dessert has Oreo flavor doesn’t mean you’re stuck using that brand. You can add any chocolate sandwich cookie to this easy no-churn ice cream recipe to create a delicious flavor.
While Oreo is the most popular chocolate sandwich cookie brand, there are several other cookie options you can use to create your own cookies n cream ice cream, like:
- Trader Joe’s Joe-Joe’s
- Newman O’s
- Famous Amos Crème Filled Sandwich Cookies
- Grandma’s Sandwich Crème cookies
- Goodie Girls Chocolate Crème Cookies
- Annie’s Organic Grabbits
How to Make No-Churn Ice Cream
While using an ice cream maker is a great way to get a thick and creamy ice cream, there’s no need to use that bulky machine! If you’re looking for a faster and easier way to prepare ice cream at home, I suggest giving no churn ice cream a try.
Instead of an ice cream maker and dry ice, all you need to prepare this ice cream is a stand mixer! With the help of this handy appliance, you can prepare ice cream at home in just three steps:
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Pour in the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla, then whip until smooth.
- Freeze overnight.
When making an ice cream recipe with mix-ins, like Oreos, just add them in before freezing! That means you can easily whip up a variety of different ice cream flavors at home in under 10 minutes. That’s a fraction of the time it would take if you were using one of those old-fashioned ice cream makers.
Does No Churn Ice Cream Need to Be Cooked?
While some ice cream recipes require you to heat your ingredients in a saucepan before freezing them, this no-churn ice cream does not need to be cooked before freezing. Thanks to the use of sweetened condensed milk in the recipe, which has already been heated and reduced, there’s no need to cook any of the ingredients. Instead, you just need to blend your cream with your sweetened condensed milk to create a smooth consistency, mix in your add-ins, and freeze until solid.
Cookies and cream Ice Cream Tips
Once you prepare this ice cream recipe, you’ll see how simple it is to make. And with these tips and tricks, this dessert is a no-fail recipe you can make over and over again.
- Finely crush the Oreos for the best results. Before adding your cookies to the mixture, make sure to crush them as finely as possible. You can add your cookies to a plastic bag and crush them by rolling a rolling pin over the top of them until crumbly. But if you have a food processor, you can easily achieve a fine crumb by pulsing the food processor until the cookies are crushed.
- Don’t over whip your heavy cream. Whipping your cream until its stiff is an essential step in this ice cream recipe. But it is possible to over-whip your cream. If this happens, the cream will begin to separate and become unusable. That means you’ll need to start all over! The key to knowing when to stop whipping your cream is keeping a close eye on its texture. It should not take longer than 2-3 minutes to achieve those stiff peaks. Add the sweetened milk when the cream begins to form into stiff peaks and holds its shape when you remove the whisk from the bowl.
How do you store cookies and cream ice cream?
After you prepare your ice cream, it should be tightly covered and stored in the freezer. You can keep your no churn ice cream stored in the container in which it was originally frozen or transferred to a new, air-tight container.
If you keep it in the original container, make sure the plastic wrap is tightly wrapped around the container every time you return it to the freezer to prevent freezer burn.
Print to save for later
Print the recipe card
Cookies and cream ice cream
- 16 oz heavy cream
- 15 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup oreo cookies crushed
- Pour heavy cream into a large bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer (using wire whip attachment), and whip on high for about 3 minutes, until stiff peaks form.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Whip on high for an additional minute.
- Add crushed cookies and whip on low for 10-20 seconds.
- Add mixture to a loaf pan, or freezer safe bowl.
- Cover, and chill for 8 hours, or overnight.