When the winter chill sets in and you’re looking for something warm to sip on, try this boozy hot chocolate! It’s rich, creamy, and so delicious.
Boozy hot chocolate
You know those days when you just need a drink? You want something warm that will take the edge off but won’t get you drunk. What do you do? Make some boozy hot chocolate! It’ll warm you right up while getting your buzz on at the same time. Plus, no one can say no to booze in their hot cocoas!
This recipe is for spiked hot chocolate, which means it includes some alcohol. The alcohol in this drink will make you feel warm and fuzzy inside on a cold winter day or night. It also gives the drink a different flavor from what you’re used to with regular old cocoa packets. This boozy hot chocolate is so delicious!
This drink is perfect for a night in with friends or as an after-dinner treat. The alcohol will give you some warmth and the cocoa powder will soothe your soul!
Other drink recipes you might enjoy:
- Whipped hot chocolate recipe
- Bahama mama smoothie recipe
- Peach lemonade
- Non alcoholic homemade eggnog
What is boozy hot chocolate?
This alcoholic hot chocolate is a cold-weather classic, especially in the winter. The hot chocolate usually includes some type of alcohol such as Bailey’s Irish Cream or vodka and adds an extra level of flavor to this delicious treat.
What is the history of hot chocolate with alcohol?
This delicious hot beverage has been around for centuries and throughout the years, it seems like every country in the world had its own unique recipe. In Spain, you can find a version of this drink called “Choco Caliente.” Whipped cream is added to the top while in England or France they use dark rum with milk!
In Italy, you can find a sambuca hot chocolate, in Mexico they love to add cinnamon while in Turkey it is served with raisins and almonds!
The history of this drink goes all the way back to 1765 when Louis XV was gifted with what would later be dubbed as “chocolate liqueur.” It’s no wonder that this drink has become so popular over the years!
How much alcohol is in this drink?
The amount of booze used typically ranges from a dash to an ounce or two. The more you add, the stronger it will be and less sweet it will taste (which might be for those who don’t want any sugar).
What is the best alcohol to use for boozy hot chocolate?
Most people use some type of liqueur for this drink. Traditionally, the most common alcohol used is dark rum or spiced rum. However, many different types of alcohol can be used to make these drinks including bourbon and whiskey as well as brandy or vodka!
It’s important to note that the alcohol in this drink will not make you drunk. The rum or other liqueur mixed into these drinks give it a different flavor than regular cocoa powder and milk would yield, but it is still just as delicious!
boozy hot chocolate recipe
This recipe is so easy to make, and the taste is amazing. This boozy drink will be perfect for a cold winter evening or when you just want to treat yourself with something decadent. It’s also really simple!
What do you need to make it?
- Milk – full fat milk always tastes better in this recipe but skimmed milk would work too.
- Cocoa powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chip
- Sea salt
- Heavy cream
- Smirnoff Kissed Caramel Vodka
Optional for garnish you’ll need – whipped cream, marshmallows, salted caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, chocolate chips, etc.
How to make spiked hot chocolate?
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking occasionally until mixture is steamy and thoroughly heated through.
- Mix in heavy cream.
- Remove from the heat and stir in caramel vodka.
- Serve, and garnish with your choice of whipped cream, marshmallows, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, chocolate chips, or whatever you prefer. Enjoy!
Variations of this drink:
- Add whipped cream to the top of your drink for a boozy twist on hot chocolate.
- Replace some of the dairy milk with coconut or almond milk for an extra healthful twist!
- You can also add in some cinnamon or peanut butter to change up the flavor a bit!
- Some people prefer their drinks served cold and creamy like a milkshake rather than warm and frothy like you’re used to with regular hot chocolate. If you’re one of these people, simply pour your hot cocoa into a blender with ice and mix it up until the drink becomes cold and creamy!
The key is that you enjoy this warm, delicious treat in moderation and responsibly, so it doesn’t go straight to your head!
How many calories are in boozy hot chocolate?
This drink is usually pretty high in calories because of all the different ingredients. It can range from 250-500 calories per serving, depending on how you make it (with or without cream).
This particular recipe has 479 calories per serving. It is ok to treat yourself to a high-calorie drink once in a while. We all need a treat, and it is not like you drink this all day, every day.
What to serve with a hot chocolate with alcohol?
It’s always fun to have a little something on the side of your drink. So, what should you serve with this boozy hot chocolate? Options include:
- chocolate covered pretzels or cookies
- cinnamon sugar toasties and marshmallows for dipping in your cocoa!
- fruit skewers like apples, strawberries, and bananas
- chocolate covered marshmallows for dipping in your cocoa!
These are just a few of the many things you can serve with this hot beverage. Have fun experimenting to find what you like most!
Can you make boozy hot chocolate as a gift?
This is the perfect drink to make for a friend or loved one during the holiday season! Add some festive ribbon and confetti, then pair it with something sweet like chocolate-covered pretzels. It will be an unforgettable gift they’ll love to open up on Christmas morning!
Another idea would be to add cinnamon sticks in place of the chocolate-covered pretzels. This is a great drink for those who are looking to stay warm and cozy during the cold winter months!
It’s true that there are plenty of boozy hot chocolate recipes out there, but I think this one is a winner. If you’re looking for something to keep the cold wind away on these chilly days, then give it a try!
I hope this recipe will warm your heart and soul on these cold winter days.
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Boozy hot chocolate
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tbsp. Cocoa powder
- 2 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp. Heavy cream
- 3 oz. Smirnoff Kissed Caramel Vodka
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together milk, cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and the pinch of sea salt.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking occasionally, until mixture is steamy and thoroughly heated through. Mix in heavy cream.
- Remove from the heat and stir in caramel vodka.
- Serve, and garish with your choice of whipped cream, marshmallows, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, chocolate chips, or whatever you prefer.