Everybody loves chocolate! A hot chocolate in the middle of a cold winter day is the greatest thing to warm you up. Take it to the next level with this whipped hot chocolate recipe that comes out in less than five minutes!
Whipped hot chocolate recipe
Whipped hot chocolate recipe is a pretty new trend that’s gone viral on social media, especially on Tik Tok at the beginning of the pandemic, after people began making Dalgona Coffee. This delicious hot chocolate drink is also sometimes called Dalgona Chocolate, as it’s a similar drink but uses chocolate instead of coffee.
If you want to give it an extra fancy look, add some homemade whipped cream, sprinkles, cocoa powder, marshmallows or chocolate candy chunks. It will be even more delicious.
More chocolate recipes you will love:
- Banana chocolate oatmeal cookies
- Chocolate fudge cupcakes
- Dairy and egg free chocolate cake
- Chocolate caramel cookies
- No bake Italian chocolate salami
What is the difference between hot cocoa and hot chocolate?
Simply put, hot cocoa is runnier and less creamy than hot chocolate.
Hot cocoa is cocoa powder mixed with hot water, a few spoons of milk and sugar. Mix sugar and cocoa powder, add a few drops of water, whip until no cocoa lumps are left then add the rest of the water and some milk. You can decorate it or add a bit of creaminess by topping with whipped cream.
Hot chocolate is made with chocolate or hot chocolate mix, milk, some cream and sugar (optional). This drink also goes very well with some whipped cream on top and various toppings like sprinkles, marshmallows, cinnamon etc
This whipped hot chocolate recipe is a creamier, fancier variation of the hot chocolate drink.
How do you whip?
The simple answer is: however you like. Hand mixer, whisk, fork, frother, any tool you would normally use to whip heavy cream. Just bear in mind that whipping with a fork or spoon could take considerably longer than using a whisk or a mixer, so allow yourself about 20 minutes for whipping the chocolate.
You could also feel your arm a bit sore after whipping with a fork if you’re not used to whipping creams all day. I used my hand mixer and the whipped hot chocolate came to life in under 2 minutes.
Cool whip is a shortcut if you don’t want to whip your own cream. Just add your powdered cocoa mix or cocoa and coffee and incorporate well. In the end, add a dollop on top of your drink.
Can you refrigerate the hot chocolate whipped cream?
Fresh whipped chocolate is always the best to use, as keeping it in the fridge may result in air loss and dropping. So only whip it before you are about to serve. If you have leftovers, keep them in the fridge, stored in an airtight container, for up to 3 days.
How do you make whipped iced chocolate?
You can easily turn it into a cold whipped chocolate for summer or warmer days if you like, just by adding some crushed ice or ice cubes. Instead of warming the milk, you just take it out of the frigde and add a few iced cubes or crushed ice, depending on the consistency you like.
What can I add to hot chocolate?
You can add a lot of toppings or spices you love, such as:
- Pumpkin spice
- Crushed Oreos
- Crushed cookies
- Chocolate syrup
- Coconut flakes
- Chocolate sprinkled or flakes
- Coffee – Combine cocoa powder and coffee in any proportion you want, to add a coffee hint to your drink.
- If you want an “adult drink”, just add some of your favorite liquor.
How do you thicken hot chocolate?
There are a couple of options here:
- The first option would be to add less milk to your cup. The more milk you add the runnier the hot chocolate will get. So if you like really thick hot chocolate, mix just about 2/3 of a cup of milk with 1 cup of the hot chocolate whipped cream
- You could also mix some milk with a bit of cornstarch and simmer until milk gets the desired consistency.
- Add some chocolate chunks to the hot drink.
- Add a teaspoon or two of cocoa powder.
Whipped cream hot chocolate recipe
Although fancy-looking like a coffee shop product, this whipped hot chocolate is so quick and easy to make even in a busy weekdays (or weeknights)! You just won’t resist the temptation, and, as a plus, make your kids extra happy! And, it just needs three simple ingredients.
How to make whipped hot chocolate recipe?
To make this simple recipe you only need 3 to 5 minutes and 3 ingredients: whipped cream, hot chocolate mix and milk. Add extra sugar if you like to make it sweeter or your hot chocolate mix is not sweet enough for your taste.
To sweeten the whipped hot chocolate without sugar, just use other sweetener like maple syrup, honey or artificial sweetener.
If you have lactose intolerance, are a vegan, or you just don’t like ordinary milk, you can go for lactose-free or vegetable milk. In fact I used lactose free milk for this recipe as I have troubles digesting regular milk. It tasted divine! This recipe allows for any kind of milk, so feel free to explore all the possibilities. As it’s the biggest part of the drink, make sure it’s a milk you really like.
- Mix sugar and hot chocolate mix with a whisk.
- Add cream.
- Beat with a hand mixer until peaks form.
- Heat some milk and add to a cup.
- Mix in hot chocolate whipped cream.
- Serve hot/warm
How to make the best whipped cream?
There’s a simple trick that will ensure the perfect whipped cream, every time! Simply keep the mixing bowl, the beaters and the whipped cream in the fridge for at least half an hour. Remove from the fridge right before using. The whipped cream will come out right away, beautifully!
How do you love your whipped hot chocolate? Tell me about your favorite recipe in the comments.
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Whipped hot chocolate recipe
- 2 tbsp hot chocolate mix
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk or chocolate milk for an extra boost of chocolate
- sprinkled, cinnamon, marshmallows etc optional, to decorate
- Mix hot chocolate with sugar and whisk
- Add heavy cream and mix
- Beat with hand mixer for about 2 minutes or until the whipped cream forms peaks.
- Heat milk in a saucepan. Add to cups. Add half the whipped cream to both cups and mix to melt. Top with the rest of the whipped cream and decorate with toppings of choice.