This easy lemon mousse recipe combines fluffy whipped cream, cream cheese and tangy lemon curd to create a decadent dessert that’s perfect not only for the warm summer months but all year round too!
Did you know you could whip up a delicious, creamy lemon dessert using just three ingredients? But the best part about this lemon mousse is that it only takes a few minutes to prepare! The hardest part about this lemon curd mousse is waiting for it to chill in the fridge!
Other fruit desserts you will love:
- Strawberry cookies with cream cheese frosting
- Peach Danish in puff pastry
- Pineapple banana split dessert
- Lemon bars
- Mini lemon tarts
- No bake lemon pie sugar free
- Blood orange bundt cake
Lemon Mousse Ingredients
You’re going to love how simple this lemon cream cheese mousse is to prepare! That’s because you only need three ingredients to make it. To this delicious dessert together, you’ll need:
- Lemon curd. The key to getting that decadent lemon flavor in your mousse is lemon curd. You can use premade lemon curd or make your own fresh curd at home to use in this simple recipe.
- Cream cheese. This easy three-ingredient recipe uses cream cheese to help thicken the mouse. In addition to adding a creamy texture to the dessert, cream cheese also adds a delicious cheesecake flavor to your no-bake treat.
- Whipped cream. Fresh whipped cream adds the finishing touch to your dessert. When whipped cream is added to the cream cheese in this recipe, the result is a thick and creamy mousse.
What is Lemon Curd?
If you’ve never enjoyed the delicious taste of lemon curd, you don’t know what you’re missing! Lemon curd is made using a combination of lemon juice, sugar, eggs and flour. When you combine those simple ingredients, you have a delicious and creamy sauce that packs a ton of fresh lemon flavor.
You can purchase premade lemon curd, but it’s so simple to make at home that there’s no reason you couldn’t whip up a batch of fresh curd to use in your mousse. I’ll share the recipe for making your own lemon curd, in the recipe card below.
Homemade lemon curd can be stored covered in the refrigerator, preferably in an airtight container, for up to one week.
How Do You Make lemon Mousse from Scratch?
Usually, preparing mousse from scratch is a little more complicated than simply whipping three ingredients together. Traditional mousse is typically prepared by heating whipping cream, egg yolk, and sugar in a saucepan until the mixture thickens. After creating the base for your mousse, you can add flavor to it by mixing in additional ingredients, like lemon juice or chocolate. Some mouse recipes also include gelatin to give it a thicker consistency.
But my lemon cheesecake mousse is in fact a combination of lemon curd, cream cheese and whipped cream that is then refrigerated for 3-4 hours before serving. The most time consuming part is making the curd. But if you’re using store bought lemon curd, you’ll be cutting the time in half.
How to Store this Mousse
After blending your ingredients together, you’ll need to store your mousse in the refrigerator for a few hours to give it time to thicken. The mousse can be chilled up to overnight before serving it.
If you have leftovers, store them covered or in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The dessert will last for up to five days when properly stored.
Lemon Mousse Recipe Ideas
Since this recipe is so easy to prepare, you’re going to want to make it over and over again! And with these simple recipe ideas, you’ll have plenty of ways to serve your mousse.
- Garnish with fresh fruit or herbs. Add some freshness to your dessert with the help of fresh fruit and herbs. Lemon slices, raspberries, or sliced strawberries make a great topping for your lemon dessert. A few leaves of fresh mint is another simple way to decorate the top of your dessert cups.
- Make mini lemon cheesecakes. The combination of cream cheese and whipped cream in this easy recipe is perfect for a no-bake cheesecake. Use your mousse to prepare mini lemon cheesecakes by adding a layer of graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of a small jar or cup. Then, top the crumbs with a serving of lemon mouse.
- Add it to a layer cake. Give a cake extra lemon flavor by using your mouse as a filling in between each layer. Start by creating a wall of buttercream around the mouse by piping a line of icing around the border of the cake. Pour a thin layer of lemon mousse inside the buttercream border, then place a layer of cake on top. Continue this process with all your layers.
- Fill your cupcakes. Instead of building a full cake, you can also use your lemon mousse as cupcake filling. After baking your cupcakes, use a spoon to scoop out the center of each cake. Pipe a small amount of lemon mousse in the center of each cupcake then pipe some icing on top.
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Lemon mousse with cream cheese
- ice cream cups
- 2 cups cream cheese frosting
- 1 1/2 cup whipped cream
For the lemon curd
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs large
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cups lemon juice about 2 large lemons
- In a saucepan, combine the curd ingredients, except for vanilla and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer, whisking continuously until the curd is as thick as pudding. Remove from stove, add vanilla and chill completely before using in the lemon mousse.
- Add the chilled curd to a mixing bowl and pour cream cheese frosting over.
- Mix on low using a hand mixer until fully combined.
- Add whipped cream and mix to combine. At this point the mixture should be creamy and soft.
- Pour into serving cups (I used ice cream cups) and transfer to the fridge for at least 3-4 hours.
- Serve garnished with raspberries, whipped cream and dried lemon zest (all optional)
Megan Ellam says
So fresh and so yummy. It is the first day of spring here today and this recipe has got me wanting to make it!
Super delicious and really easy to follow! Thanks a lot for this amazing recipe! Highly recommended!
I love the idea of garnishing with fresh raspberries! Lemon and raspberry is one of my favorite combos and this dessert sounds perfect.
This dessert is so light and creamy. I love all the delicious lemon mixed with the cream cheese.
In love with this lemon mousse – so light, creamy, and refreshing.
This was so good and refreshing! It was so creamy and light that I can eat it on repeat!
Farrukh Aziz says
We loved lemon flavored desserts, and this was perfect! I love how easy and delicious this turned out! 🙂
Amy Nash says
What a wonderful, light dessert idea! Do you think this would be stable enough as a cake filling as well?
This recipe was delicious, and I’m so glad I saw it in my Pinterest feed the other day, or I wouldn’t have gotten to try such a wonderful recipe. Have a great day!
Hi Amy. In this formula, it’s a bit too soft to play as cake filling. You could try adding some buttercream to make it more stable.