This St. Patrick’s lime sherbet punch is a super refreshing and festive treat! Made with a simple lime syrup and paired with a zesty sherbet this, is the perfect drink to make when you want to cool down!
Lime sherbet punch
St. Patrick’s day is an amazing holiday to celebrate! There’s an abundance of chocolate, delicious food and amazing drinks! It’s also the perfect excuse to make anything you can possibly think of green. So when I was thinking about ways to incorporate the green color to a drink I came up with the idea of making a super zesty and refreshing lime sherbet punch.
When it comes to St. Patrick’s Day, there are few things more fun than drinking themed cocktails. And what could be more festive than green lime sherbet punch? This drink is simple to make, but packs a lot of flavor.
Other drinks you will love:
What is lime sherbet?
Lime sherbet is a type of sherbet that is made from lime juice, sugar and milk. It has a sweet and sour taste and is often used as a dessert or a refreshing treat.
Sherbet floats are just basically ice cream with some soda poured on top. The carbonation reacts to the sugar producing bubbles and the ice cream floats to the top. The end result is a fun and festive drink that kids and adults love!
You can use any flavor combination you want on your lime sherbet floats. Hey, you can even use any color combination! However, since this was for St. Patrick’s day I went for a green sherbet punch idea just to keep things on the same theme.
How to make these St Patrick day floats
The secret to making a delicious lime sherbet punch, the type of drink that everyone raves about is starting with a good simple syrup. Most recipes don’t ask for a simple syrup and rely heavily on the soda and sherbet giving your drink all the flavor.
However, if you start with a simple syrup you make sure you are packing your float with a couple of extra layers of flavor.
How to make a super colorful lime sherbet punch
I wanted the St. Patrick’s lime sherbet float to be as bold and colorful as possible so I added a couple drops of food coloring to the simple syrup. You can skip this step if you want to, just keep in mind the end result would be a bit more pale.
When to make lime sherbet punch
This punch is best served immediately. The sherbet will start to melt and the drink will become watery if you let it sit for too long.
How to serve lime sherbet punch
When you are ready to serve your lime sherbet punch, fill a glass with some crushed ice. Pour in the lime syrup and then add the lime sherbet. Top off with club soda and stir gently to combine.
If you want to get really festive, add some green food coloring to the club soda just before serving for an extra pop.
What are some variations of this recipe?
There are a couple of variations you could try with this recipe, including options for different flavor drinks:
- Add in some vodka or rum for an alcoholic version
- Try using lemon sherbet or even orange sherbet instead
- For a non-alcoholic version, try using sparkling water, seltzer water, sprite or ginger ale instead of club soda
- Add in some lime slices or mint leaves for extra flavor and garnish
- Add a couple of sprigs of fresh rosemary for a herby flavor
- Use 1/2 cup of orange juice for an orange lime sherbet punch
- Add a couple of slices of fresh ginger for a peppery flavor
- Pineapple juice and coconut milk makes a delicious piña colada lime sherbet punch!
- To dress up your punch, maraschino cherries make a colorful and tasty garnish!
The possibilities are endless with this recipe, so get creative and have some fun!
What other celebrations are good for this lime sherbet punch recipe?
This lime sherbet punch would be perfect for any celebration that calls for a fun and festive drink! Try it for:
- Cinco de Mayo
- Mardi Gras
- Summer BBQs
- Christmas (swap out the lime sherbet for peppermint)
- New Year’s Eve
Make a lime sherbet float bar at your St. Patrick’s Day party so everyone can build their own and want all the bubbles happen! Prepare the drink in a large punch bowl and set out different flavored sherbets, club sodas and syrups. Let your guests have a blast creating their own festive drinks!
Ingredients for St Patricks day punch
This drink is really easy to make, with simple instructions, minimal prep time and only a few simple ingredients:
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 ½ Cups water
- Zest from 2 limes
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 drops of green food coloring
- 8 Scoops of lime sherbet (you can replace with vanilla ice cream if you have a shortage)
- 6 Cups soda (lemon lime soda also works great for this green punch)
- Punch bowl
- Cocktail glasses
How to make lime sherbet punch?
1. In a saucepan over medium heat mix sugar, water, lime zest and juice and food coloring.
2. Cook, stirring constantly until the sugar has melted and the syrup has thickened (around 6 minutes).
3. Remove from heat and let it cool completely.
4. Add 2 sherbet scoops to a glass, pour around ¼ simple syrup over.
5. Finish with soda.
6. Decorate with lime or lemon slices and serve immediately.
Lime sherbet is a great way to cool down on a hot day. It is also very refreshing and has a unique sour and sweet taste. Lime sherbet is also a good source of Vitamin C, which is an important vitamin for maintaining good health.
If you’re looking for a fun and festive drink to enjoy this St. Patrick’s day, then look no further than this lime sherbet punch! This drink is easy to make and is sure to please adults and kids alike. So grab your favorite glass and get started!
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Lime sherbet punch
- 1 Cup sugar
- 1 ½ Cups water
- 2 limes zest and juice
- 2 drops green food coloring
- 8 scoops lime sherbet
- 6 Cups soda
- In a saucepan over medium heat mix sugar, water, lime zest and juice and food coloring.
- Cook, stirring constantly until the sugar has melted and the syrup has thickened (around 6 minutes).
- Remove from heat and let it cool completely. Add 2 sherbet scoops to a glass
- Pour around ¼ simple syrup over. Finish with soda. Serve immediately.