Colorful, soft, creamy, and fun — my easy-to-make M&M cupcakes recipe will produce a light and fluffy, decadent treat that will bring joy to any guest you serve. This recipe proves that the love for M&Ms, cupcakes and brownies remains in the hearts of all ages.
These simply delicious M&M cupcakes will bring joy to all — young and old alike! Fun to eat, and fun to make: what more can you ask for? A wonderful option for any occasion, any time of the year.
Let’s get real for one moment: a party is not complete without a sweet treat. These chocolate cupcakes’ festive, colorful vibrancy will liven up everyone’s taste buds, ensuring smiling fun for all. When I recently made them for a get-together, seeing them on the food table was like seeing a party on a platter. The colorful M&M garnish adds a fun pop of color that immediately draws your attention.
Other chocolate desserts you will love:
- Double chocolate cake
- Wacky cake recipe
- Chocolate fudge cupcakes
- Chocolate mousse cake
- Strawberry hot chocolate bombs
- Valentine breakable heart
Bring a batch of these delicious brownie cupcakes to your next event, and I assure you that you’ll hear exclamations of joy and plenty of “oohs” and “ahhs.” I don’t know about you but being the star of the party can be pretty exciting sometimes. These M&M cupcakes will catapult you into the delicious, joy-filled spotlight.
And while parties and events are fun and exciting, they can also be exhausting! So, if you’re not in the partying mood, my chocolate frosting cupcakes can provide a yummy, comforting treat for those quiet moments at home. Whether you want to make a sweet treat for your family, enjoy an indulgent dessert for yourself, or spend some time baking to clear your mind (I do this more often than I can say), my chocolate brownie cupcake recipe is straightforward and evocative of joyful memories.
Moist chocolate M&M cupcakes, topped with creamy frosting and garnished with playful pops of color, are the mouth-wateringly delicious dessert perfect for any occasion.
M&M Chocolate Cupcakes: Fun Facts
If you haven’t noticed by now, I like to throw in some interesting facts to pair with my recipes occasionally. Since these M&M cupcakes are great for parties, there isn’t a better time to learn a few pieces of history and knowledge. Feed your baking fan’s sweet tooth and their mind for a fun and memorable experience. By throwing in some interesting information as your guests enjoy these amazingly moist brownie cupcakes, your audience will never forget the yummy experience.
But be forewarned—whether your audience is your immediate family or a party of 50, they will keep coming back again and again. I can tell you from firsthand experience! Once I’ve shared my treats and tasty facts, people are always eager for more.
In 1919, Hostess grew responsible for the rapid rise in cupcake popularity. They were not, however, the classic Hostess cupcake we now know and love. The famous cream filling they’re known for didn’t come around until 1950. Additionally, cupcakes were not frosted in any way for a long time throughout history. Instead, they came with toppings like spices or dried fruit. Another surge in cupcake popularity came alongside the popular TV show Sex and the City. Magnolia Bakery in New York City was featured on the show, and the bakery has steadily remained a baking icon.
Cupcakes are loved by many, dare I say all? Either way, they are so popular that there are multiple world records for eating cupcakes. My favorite is “most cupcakes iced/frosted in one minute (individual),” found via Guinness World Records. Buddy Valastro, a well-known baker, ate 36 frosted cupcakes in one minute on September 12, 2019. Can you believe it!? Mobile Cuisine shares another fun record where the world’s most giant cupcake weighed over 1,200 pounds and had more than two million calories. Now, that’s a whole lot of cupcake! Do you love cupcakes too? If so, my M&M cupcake recipe is one you must try.
M&M Chocolate Cupcakes: Tips, Tricks & FAQ
What is a brownie cupcake?
Brownie cupcakes are delectable treats that combine two popular desserts into one. Combine a brownie and a cupcake, and you have a match made in heaven. Using a brownie-like batter for chocolate cupcakes results in an incredibly textured cupcake that is fudgy and moist.
How can I make cupcakes moist?
- Watch the Time: The most common way cupcakes turn out dry is by overbaking them. Make sure to set proper baking times and check your cupcakes before removing them from the oven. To check them, stick a toothpick into the center of one cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes can come out of the oven.
- Use Oil: As you can see in the recipe, my M&M chocolate cupcakes call for both butter and oil. By adding oil into the batter, you are reducing another potential for dried-out cakes due to the oil’s higher water content.
- Mix ingredients properly: Another process in my brownie cupcake recipe is to mix dry and wet ingredients separately and carefully. When batters overmix, doughs often become tough. By mixing wet ingredients in one bowl, and dry ingredients in another, you will have to do less mixing throughout the baking process.
Why do I need to let the cupcakes cool before frosting?
The chocolate frosting for this recipe is tantalizingly yummy, so I understand why it may be hard to resist the urge to frost your cupcakes straight away. However, it is essential to let cupcakes cool entirely before doing so. If the frosting is added too soon, it will melt.
My recommendation is to allow your cupcakes to cool for approximately one hour before adding the chocolate frosting and M&M garnish. This way, you won’t miss out on the whole experience on offer by my chocolate frosting cupcake recipe.
Why did my cupcakes peel away from the paper liners?
This can be a frustrating experience, but there are a few common things to avoid it happening again:
- Leaving cupcakes in tins too long after baking: Once your cupcakes are ready to come out of the oven, remove them from the tin immediately. The steam building up as they sit in the tray can cause pesky moisture build-up.
- Not choosing quality paper liners: A foolproof way to avoid liners peeling away from your cupcakes is to use papers that are sturdy and greaseproof. Their design prevents the pull-away effect, so you will be well protected if you choose them! Keeping the liners intact and well-placed around your cupcakes is important. The paper liners help with tin removal, are more hygienic, eliminate the need for grease, and reduce wear and tear on pans.
What baking materials do I need to make M&M chocolate cupcakes?
Are you getting yourself excited to make these downright delectable M&M cupcakes? Gather your baking tools and dive in! Here’s what you will need:
- Cupcake liners
- Cupcake baking pan
- Mixing bowls
- Hand mixer
Check out the recipe card to build your ingredient list and let the baking begin! Once you give the recipe a try, come back and tell us about it in the comments below. And, as always, happy baking!
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
For the cupcakes
- ½ cups butter partially melted
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- ¼ tsp salt
For the frosting
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup M&M’s
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 325 F
- Place the cupcake liners into the baking tray.
- Place the butter into a mixing bowl and microwave until it partially melted.
- Add the sugar and vegetable oil to butter and mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs one by one and continue to mix.
- Then add the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and chocolate chips) and mix until combined well.
- Pour the mixture into cupcake liners and bake for 30 minutes.
- After it's baked move from the oven and let the cupcakes cool for 35 minutes
For the frosting
- Place the butter into a small saucepan and cook until melted. Then add the cocoa powder.
- Whisk until smooth. Remove from the heat and transfer to a medium size mixing bowl.
- Let it cool, then add milk, vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Mix it until you reached the desired consistency.
- Frost over the cooled cupcakes and garnish with the M&M’s.
Leave a Reply