Chocolate is the best thing ever! It can be added to any dessert to make it even more delicious, so how about some delicious chocolate fudge cupcakes topped with chocolate buttercream? Not enough chocolate? Add some chocolate chips on top!
Chocolate fudge cupcakes
This recipe is super easy and quick to make, and it makes a perfect Friday night dessert to end the week properly. These chocolate fudge cupcakes are also a hit for birthdays, so don’t be afraid to add them on the menu. They are great as they are, or together with a delicious coffee or hot chocolate (just don’t get into a sugar rush).
Another great advantage? You use only one bowl for the batter and one for the cream, so you don’t end up with a pile of dishes. Less time spent cleaning means more time enjoying the cupcakes!
More chocolate desserts you will love:
- Dairy & egg free chocolate cake
- Chocolate caramel cookies
- No bake Italian chocolate salami
- Double chocolate cake
- Wacky cake recipe
- Whipped hot chocolate drink
- Homemade fudge with milk powder
- Chocolate mousse dessert
- Chocolate mousse cake
- Boozy hot chocolate
The great advantage of these chocolate buttercream cupcakes is that being so easy to make, you’ll never want to run to the store for a box mix again. They’re super delicious and a lot healthier than store-bought mixes. I’m talking about the cupcakes and the buttercream as well.
Chocolate fudge cupcakes are great with the classic recipe, but you can make infinite combinations to make them unique.
Chocolate cupcakes recipe
This cupcake recipe has the greatest mix of moisture, softness and is so fudgy, with just enough chocolate flavor to please everyone.
How do you make chocolate cupcakes from scratch?
For this recipe you’ll need yogurt, chocolate chunks or chocolate chips, sugar, vanilla extract, butter, flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
The secret for the flavor is a few chocolate bits thrown into the batter. You can use any chocolate you like: milk, dark, etc. I used dark chocolate and some white chocolate chunks in the middle of each cupcake for extra chocolatey flavor.
What ingredient makes cupcakes moist?
I used yogurt to give my cupcakes tons of moisture while adding to the fudgy effect of the chocolate. The yogurt made them so chewy and creamy! If yogurt is not your cup of tea, sour cream or buttermilk will also do the trick.
How do you flavor your fudge cupcakes?
For the flavor, I used vanilla extract. But for a different flavor, you can add your favorite extracts. Peppermint, orange and almond extracts go great with chocolate and make your cupcakes special. Rum or other alcohol also go well, but I don’t recommend using alcohol when serving them to children. A little bit of rum extract is OK, but that’s the limit.
Salt is also important in balancing the flavors. Unsalted butter will call for a pinch of salt while salted butter will cut a bit down on the sweetness. Just keep this in mind if you already have one kind of butter at hand and don’t want to go shopping just for this. I used unsalted butter.
Can I replace butter in my chocolate cupcakes?
You can replace butter with other fats but depending on the fat you use, the texture might differ slightly. Oil-based cupcakes are moist and more spongy, but to make them fudgy you need to use butter. The batter will still be moist enough thanks to the yogurt addition, so don’t worry. Another difference is that butter adds more flavor, while the oil makes the cupcakes moister. You can choose any of them depending on the result, but for fudgy and more flavor-rich cupcakes, I preferred to go with the butter.
How to decorate chocolate cupcakes
To decorate my chocolate fudge cupcakes I used this recipe for chocolate buttercream. For decorating your own, use your imagination:
- chocolate chips (you can even add white chocolate chips or sprinkles for a contrast)
- colored sprinkles
- confectioner’s sugar
They all go great with chocolate, so you can’t go wrong! They can also add variety to your cupcakes if you decide to use more of them at the same time.
What do you love to add as your personal touch? Let me know in the comment section below!
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe Card
Chocolate fudge cupcakes
- 1¼ cup yogurt plain
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 12 chunks white chocolate of about 1/2"
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray muffin tin with oil and line with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine chocolate chunks and butter in a medium bowl. Set bowl over a saucepan with simmering water and stir until chocolate and butter are melted and smooth (it took about 10 min. for me). Alternatively you can use a microwave and melt in increments of 30 seconds. Remove bowl from heat
- Mix sugar, vanilla, and yogurt.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well until mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into muffin tin, using a spoon.
- Add 1 chocolate chunk to the middle of each cupcake
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of cupcakes comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely then decorate with chocolate buttercream.