Having a party and didn’t have time to make a dessert? This strawberry puff pastry recipe will save you: these delicious puff pastry pinwheels made with strawberry jam are incredibly easy and quick to make, only uses three ingredients and bake in no-time. The perfect last-minute dessert!
Strawberry puff pastry
Making this amazing strawberry puff pastry could not be easier! Puff pastry makes baking a lot more fun and faster! As for the filling, you can use any jam you have on hand like blueberry, raspberry, citrus, etc, This time I had a delicious strawberry jam and I decided to use it for filling this jam puff pastry to make everything even faster! You can also make snack pinwheels with cheese and bacon, minced meat or ham, jam is not the only option here.
More fruit desserts you will love:
- Apple cinnamon bread
- Apple Danish in puff pastry
- Raspberry Tiramisu
- Blueberry buttermilk cake
- Mini lemon tarts in puff pastry
- Strawberry dump cake
- Rainbow pop tarts
You can control the sweetness by the amount of jam you use, and the jam sweetness itself. The pastry is not sweet, so it won’t affect the final result. Also, if you don’t want them too sweet, you can leave the confectioner’s sugar out.
To make a more diverse platter, you can use two or three different kinds of jams, in different colors. Nothing completes the image more than a pretty serving plate!
Why these puff pastry pinwheels are so awesome
- This delicious strawberry puff pastry is not only a great day to day dessert but also a great easy holiday. This strawberry jam puff pastry is also a very appreciated holiday tasty gift.
- These tasty pinwheels are great for breakfast or as a sweet brunch snack, but they are also amazing last-minute desserts for a party.
- I like this pinwheel shape, but you can also shape them any way you like. There are many who like to make pastry swirls filled with jam, or just small nests or pouches to finish faster.
- They come up and bake in just minutes (literally)
- Are also great for beginners and kids to begin their baking journey. Just make sure they won’t finish all the jam before spreading it on the pastry lol
Can I use homemade ingredients?
The quickest way to make them is to use store-bought puff pastry that is ready to use after thawing for 30-40 minutes, but homemade is just as great. It just takes more time and is a bit tricky to make. Just spread the jam onto the pastry, wrap and bake! It’s just that easy.
You can use store-bought jam, but if you can make your own or use homemade from the farmer’s market, that will be the best, they’ll taste better with freshly made jam. There is no better jam than homemade!
How do you decorate strawberry puff pastry?
- For a more festive look, dust with confectioner’s sugar after cooling. Doing this right after taking out of the oven will cause the sugar to melt and you won’t get the same look.
- You can chop some fresh strawberries if any is available and sprinkle over the pinwheels.
- Sprinkle almond shaves or crushed nuts of choice (walnuts and pecans work best in my opinion).
- Sprinkle homemade crumb topping before baking the strawberry pastry recipe.
- Drizzle honey or vanilla icing.
Can you freeze strawberry puff pastry?
While these puff pastry pinwheels taste great fresh and warm, you can definitely freeze them! You just need to wait until completely cool after taking out of the oven, as the jam will feel like hot molten lava. Place them in an airtight container (or a zip bag) and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
They can also be stored in an airtight container in the pantry for up to three days. When serving, just reheat for a few minutes in the warm oven or a few seconds in the microwave oven.
I’d love to know your feedback on this recipe. What is your favorite variety of puff pastry pinwheels with jam? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Puff pastry pinwheels
What do you need to make this strawberry puff pastry?
- puff pastry sheets – make sure you thaw the puff pastry to the right temperature. I usually thaw in the fridge over night, not longer than 8 hours. Do not keep puff pastry at room temperature for too long as it will dry out or become sticky.
- strawberry jam – or jam of choice. Homemade or store bought are both good but make sure the jam is not too watery as it will spread too much in the oven.
- egg wash – I prefer free range eggs as they’ll give a beautiful golden color to the baked pastry.
- crumb topping – optional. If you don’t know how to make crumb topping, check out this recipe for Apple cinnamon bread with crumb topping.
How do you make these puff pastry pinwheels?
- Roll out the pastry to a square, approximately 1/8″ thick, cut into 16 squares then place the squares into a lined baking sheet.
- Cut each square from all corners to the center, making sure the cuts don’t meet (leave a spot for the jam in the middle). If it helps add the jam first then do the cutting.
- Drop a teaspoon of jam in the middle of each square then fold the corners into a pinwheel shape.
- Brush them with egg wash.
- Bake as instructed on the pastry package.
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Strawberry puff pastry
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 8 tsp strawberry jam
- 1 egg
- crumbs topping optional
- Pre heat the oven as instructed on the pastry package. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Roll out the pastry into a large square, until about 1/8" thick.
- Using the pastry wheel cut the pastry into 16 squares.
- Transfer the squares to the baking sheet.
- Place half a teaspoon of jam in the middle of each square.
- Using the pastry wheel or a sharp knife, cut from each corner to the center, on each square, until the pastry wheel meets the jam.
- Grab one of the cut corners and fold towards the center then fold the opposite corner to the center and so on, to create a pinwheel shape. Repeat for all squares.
- Brush each pinwheel with egg wash.
- Optional - sprinkle some crumb topping
- Bake in the oven as instructed on the pastry package or until the pastry is golden brown.