This Sweet Potato Pie is the perfect dessert for any holiday gathering! Made with just a few simple ingredients, this delicious treat is sure to be a crowd favorite! Easy to make and so delicious, you’ll want to make this Sweet Potato Pie recipe again and again!
Sweet potato pie
This Sweet potato pie is the perfect dessert for any holiday gathering! Sweet, creamy, and so delicious, this easy to make pie will be a hit with everyone! With just a few simple ingredients, this pie is homemade goodness at its best! So good, you’ll want to make this recipe again and again!
Is sweet potato pie made from yams?
Sweet potato pies are typically made with mashed sweet potatoes. While sweet potatoes and yams are often used interchangeably, they are actually two different vegetables. Sweet potatoes are long and slender with smooth, reddish-brown skin and Sweet Potato Pie is typically made with this type of potato. Yams, on the other hand, are shorter and stubbier with rough, dark brown skin. They are not as Sweet and are often used in savory dishes.
Want more pie goodness?
Can you use yams instead of sweet potatoes?
Yes, you can use yams in place of sweet potatoes in this pie recipe. However, the pie will not be as sweet.
Do you put eggs in sweet potato pie?
Yes, this pie recipe calls for eggs. This helps to bind the ingredients and results in a delicious, creamy pie!
Is sweet potato pie dinner or dessert?
It can be enjoyed as either a dessert or a side dish. It is typically served as a dessert, but can also be enjoyed as a side dish alongside your favorite protein. Since my recipe is made with sugar, it qualifies as a dessert.
Does pumpkin pie have more calories than sweet potato pie?
Pumpkin pie and Sweet Potato Pie are similar in calories. One slice of Sweet Potato Pie has approximately 250 calories, while one slice of Pumpkin Pie has approximately 300 calories.
How much sodium is in a sweet potato pie?
This Sweet Potato Pie recipe has approximately 200mg of sodium per slice. This is due to the salt that is used in the recipe. If you are watching your sodium intake, you may want to reduce the amount of salt that is used in this recipe or remove it entirely.
Why is my sweet potato pie not setting?
There are a few reasons why your pie may not be setting. One reason could be that the eggs were not added to the recipe. Eggs help to bind the ingredients and result in a delicious, creamy pie. Another reason could be that the sweet potatoes were not cooked long enough, if using fresh sweet potatoes. They need to be cooked until they are very soft in order to mash easily and result in a smooth pie filling. Finally, it is important to make sure that the sweet potato puree is not too thin as it will not set properly.
How do you fix a runny homemade sweet potato pie?
There are a few things that you can do to fix a runny pie after baking.
- One thing that you can do is to bake the pie for a longer period of time. This will help the filling to set and thicken up.
- Another thing that you can do is to put the pie in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. This will help the filling to set up and thicken.
- Lastly, you can add a thickener such as cornstarch or tapioca to the filling. This will help to thicken the filling and result in a delicious, creamy pie!
Why did my sweet potato pie crack?
There are a few reasons why your pie may crack.
One reason could be that the sweet potatoes were overcooked, if using fresh sweet potatoes. They need to be cooked until they are very soft in order to mash easily and result in a smooth pie filling.
Another reason could be that the pie filling was not mixed thoroughly. Be sure to mix the ingredients well in order to avoid any lumps in the filling.
Finally, it is important to make sure that the pie crust is cooked evenly. If the crust is overcooked in some areas, it will crack.
When is my pie done?
The pie is done when the filling is set and the crust is golden brown. It should be cooked for approximately 45 minutes but there are a few ways to tell if your pie is done.
One way is to insert a toothpick into the center of the pie. If the toothpick comes out clean, the pie is done.
Another way is to check the temperature of the pie. The pie is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
Finally, you can simply visually check the pie. The filling should be set and the crust should be golden brown. If the pie is not done, it will need to be cooked for a longer period of time.
Can sweet potato pie be left out?
Yes, it can be left out at room temperature for up to two days. After two days, the pie should be stored in the refrigerator.
When storing the pie, be sure to cover it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This will help to keep the pie fresh and prevent it from drying out.
How to freeze this pie?
Sweet Potato Pie can be frozen for up to three months. When freezing it be sure to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. To thaw the pie, simply remove it from the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for several hours.
This pie can also be thawed in the refrigerator overnight. Simply remove the pie from the freezer and place it in the refrigerator before going to bed. The next morning, the pie will be thawed and ready to enjoy!
Now that you are armed with all the tips, you can go forth and bake a delicious, creamy pie! Be sure to follow the recipe closely and enjoy every bite!
What ingredients do I need?
To bake the perfect pie, you will need:
- mashed sweet potatoes
- heavy cream
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- salt (skip if you’re watching your sodium intake)
- salted butter, softened (use unsalted butter if you’re watching your sodium intake)
- pumpkin pie spice
- pie crust
- Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice, for garnish
How to make sweet potato pie from canned sweet potatoes?
- Incorporate the mashed potatoes, eggs, and cream with an electric mixer.
- Add the sugar, spices, vanilla, cornstarch, and butter (1/3 cup). Mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer. You want the mixture to be smooth and whipped slightly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of softened butter to the pie dish and spread it to coat the whole dish. Roll in the pie crust and remove any air pockets from between the dish and crust.
- Press the edge of the crust into a decorative shape and bake the crust for 3 minutes.
- Remove the crust and pour the pie filling evenly and level with the dish.
- Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Drop the heat to 335° and bake for 30 minutes or until the center of the sweet potato pie filling is set but tender. To see if it’s set stick a toothpick in the center.
- Remove the pie and set it on a counter to cool for 3-4 hours. The pie needs to be cool. If you serve it before it cools, the texture of the pie will not be firm enough to sustain itself.
Sweet Potato Pie is the perfect dessert for any occasion! It is simple to make, can be made ahead of time, and is always a crowd pleaser. Be sure to try this pie recipe at your next gathering! Your guests will be impressed by your baking skills and will be asking for the recipe. Thanks for reading and happy baking!
Pin to save for later
Print the recipe card
Sweet potato pie
- 1 40 oz. can Bruce’s Yams drained and mashed
- 2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup salted butter + 1 tbsp, softened
- 2 tbs. cornstarch
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust for 8”/9” pans (or homemade)
- Whipped cream and pumpkin pie spice for garnish
- Pre heat the oven to 400°f.
- In a bowl, incorporate the mashed yams, eggs, and cream.
- Add the sugar, spices, vanilla, cornstarch, and butter (1/3 cup). Mix with a stand mixer or hand mixer. You want the filling to be smooth and whipped slightly.
- Add 1 tablespoon of softened butter to the pie dish and spread it to coat the whole dish. Roll in the pie crust and remove any air pockets from between the dish and crust. Press the edge of the crust into a decorative shape or in the dish’s edge mold if applicable. Bake the crust for 3 minutes.
- Remove the crust and add the pie filling evenly and level with the dish.
- Bake the pie for 12 minutes. Drop the heat to 335° and bake for 30 minutes or until the center is set. Stick a toothpick in the center to see if it’s set.
- Remove the pie and set it on a counter to cool for 3-4 hours. The pie needs to be cool. If you serve it before it cools, the shape of the pie will not be firm enough to sustain itself.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice. Nutmeg can be used to garnish too.